Festival De Cannes or the Cannes Film Festival is one of the most prestigious film festivals held every year in Cannes, France. The annual event is the perfect amalgamation of grandeur, glitz, and glamor and is very much the mecca of the world film fraternity. Till now, Cannes to many people is all about the iconic Red Carpet looks, but, in reality, the gala festival has much more than just eye candies posting around. Here is everything you need to know about Cannes festival.
1. The first Cannes Film Festival was held in 1947 and this year marks the 70th Cannes International Film Festival. The festival usually goes on for 2 weeks.
This year, Cannes would be going on from 17th May to 28th May 2017.
2. Festival De Cannes is an ‘Invitation Only‘ event, so don’t even think about saving your money until you’re 80 and book a ticket!
3. Brief History: Cannes Film Festival was initiated by French Education Minister Jean Zay for setting up a global event film festival in 1939.
The ideology behind this festival stood parallel to the Venice festival, the child project of Mussolini and Adolf Hitler. To match the scenic beauty of Venice, Cannes, the French Riviera was chosen.
4. The first Cannes Film Festival was planned to take place at Cannes in 1939 with the war clouds lurking at the backdrop of Europe.
Just on the day of the inauguration, Hitler invaded Poland and in another few days, World War 2 was declared. It was only in 1946 that the festival finally happened and till date, there has been no looking back.
5. The Palme d’Or is the grand prize of the festival and is the main highlight of the event. It is given to the director of the best feature film in the official competition every year. Films that belong to the ‘in competition’ category appear for this award.
6. The ‘out of competition’ category hosts movies like ‘The Great Gatsby’ that are not competing for the Palme d’Or but appear for publicity through special and midnight screenings.
There is also a Cinéfondation section that portrays works done by film students.
7. The festival hosts ‘The Market’ as well, a place where directors and producers can buy and sell films.
8. The Red Carpet which is the iconic section of the festival is a 2km long carpet that is changed 3 times a day. It is during this stretch that we get to see the most iconic stars posing for photos.
9. Cannes festival also holds a dress code for the guests. Men are supposed to wear a black tie/bow tie and women were barred entry if not wearing heels.
It was until recently that Kristen Stewart and other celebs went on social media about breaking such rules.
10. The festival is not just about movies but also has star-studded parties along the Promenade de la Croisette. The Croisette is the coastline stretch along Cannes that is home to hotels, pubs, clubs and lot more.
11. Every year, this event brings together around 2,00,000 of actors, directors, models and people from the showbiz business to the south of France, to climb up the stairs to the cinematic glory. The hotels at Cannes make up to 15% of their annual earnings during this 12-day festival.
12. The annual budget of Cannes festival is about €20 million, half of which is contributed by sponsors and rest through public funding.
13. Till date, there are quite a bunch of Indian movies that made their way to the Palme d’Or nominations. A few of them are: Masaan(2015), Pather Panchali(1995), Do Bhiga Zameen(1954) and some more.
14. The Cannes festival is actually a platform for films to achieve global traction and attention of the best of people. Yet the festival has become a worldwide platform to flaunt your style and make fashion statements for the world to see and sigh!
Liked what you saw on Magzian?
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.