We’ve all swooned over and fantasized about the idea of having a loved one with whom we can grow old and share the rest of our lives with, just as much in love with each other in old age as we were right at beginning. But what is the ultimate secret? How can we manage to maintain, and strengthen the holy bond of love, that sparkle which very easily decolours or fades in most cases?
Here are a few things to keep in mind if you want the freshness in your relationship to be intact.
1. Go to bed together – This obviously does not mean that you have to have sex every single night (you could though), but rather go to bed at the same time. There’s nothing more satisfying than a warm bed time cuddle and being in the arms of your lover after a long day of hard work.
2. Hold hands – Next time you’re out together, make sure you hold each others hand. A public sign of affection, is a sign of real comfort with each other. It will give you a feeling of security and warmth.
3. Always trust and try to forgive – This obviously depends on the severity of your disagreement or the argument, but make sure that you trust your partner and solve the fight. No fight should be bigger than the love you have for each other. Your ego shouldn’t be more than your respect for each other. However grave the fight might be, sit down and figure it out.
4. Work out your common interests – It’s fine if he loves watching football while you’re into reading and writing, and you shouldn’t even worry if the thing you find most boring is what really gets him going. Try to come up with activities that the both of you can do together that you both enjoy. At the same time, be sure to cultivate interests of your own; this will make you more interesting and prevent you from appearing to be too dependent.
5. Spice it up in bed – Take things up a lil notch, maybe try something new in bed and tread over untouched and undiscovered territory. You can get creative and indulge in some sweet treats. Let you imagination run wild.
6. Don’t forget to hug – A warm embrace will not only make your partner feel safe and secure, but also loved. So go on and give them hug!
7. Say “I love you” and “Have a good day” – Seems obvious, but it’s an important one. Saying something caring like that first thing in the morning will set the other up for their day.
8. Don’t go to bed with an unresolved fight – Never go to bed with an unsettled argument. EVER. Regardless of how upset you are with him or her, you still want to be in the relationship them, right? Resolving the fight before going to bed says that what you and your partner have is bigger than any single upsetting incident.
9. Check in with them throughout the day – Calling your partner to see how their day is going is, dropping in a text or two will show your partner that you think about them during the day and that they matter to you is a good idea.
10. Be proud to be seen with each other – We know there’s a line between a sweet show affection and blatant PDA, but that display of tenderness in public is important. It’s not showing off, but rather just saying that they belong with each other. And that is quite nice.