Virat Kohli, the master blaster was born on November 5, 1988. He is currently the most spontaneous player in the Indian squad and is responsible for India’s recent success in international cricket. His captaincy seems encouraging with an aggressive attitude.
He has the technique, the attitude, and the aggression as well. Virat has become the most important batsman of the Indian batting line-up. At the moment, he is the best batsman in the world. Kohli has proved why he is already a legend. So let’s have a look at 10 interesting facts about this guy.
1. Kohli was ranked eighth in ESPN’s list of world’s most famous athletes in 2016.
2. He captained India Under-19s to victory at the 2008 Under-19 World Cup in Malaysia, and a few months later, made his ODI debut for India against Sri Lanka at the age of 19.
3. Kohli reached the number one spot in the ICC rankings for ODI batsmen for the first time in 2013.
4. Kohli holds numerous Indian batting records including the fastest ODI century, the fastest batsman to 5,000 ODI runs and the fastest to 10 ODI centuries. He is only the second batsman in the world to have scored 1,000 or more ODI runs for four consecutive calendar years. Among the T20I world records held by Kohli are fastest batsman to 1,000 runs, most runs in a calendar year and most fifties in the format. He also holds the records for most runs in a single tournament of both the World Twenty20 and the IPL.
5. Kohli has been the recipient of many awards such as the ICC ODI Player of the Year in 2012and the BCCI’s international cricketer of the year for the 2011–12 and 2014–15 seasons. In 2013, he was given the Arjuna Award in recognition of his achievements in international cricket. The Padma Shri was conferred upon him in 2017 under the sports category.
6. Kohli co-owns over 20 brand endorsements; his brand value in 2016 was estimated to be US$92 million, placing him second on the list of India’s most valued celebrity brands.
7. Kohli loves tattoos. He has gotten himself inked four times and his favorite tattoo is the one sporting a Samurai Warrior.
8. West Indies’ great Sir Vivian Richards, regarded as the most destructive batsmen in the history of cricket, once stated that Kohli reminded him of himself!
9. Former New Zealand captain Martin Crowe once wrote: “Kohli exudes the intensity of Rahul Dravid, the audacity of Virender Sehwag and the extraordinary range of Sachin.” Kohli also has the much-needed aggression of Sourav Ganguly indeed!
10. Kohli is a kind-hearted man. He established a charity foundation named Virat Kohli Foundation, where events are held to raise funds for the underprivileged children and the raised money is utilized towards the education and healthcare of underprivileged children.